Developer Sunburned Games Valencia, Spain
Release Date Early Access: July 28, 2016
Full Release: March 30, 2017
Platform PC, Mac & Linux later
Press Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Press Materials Press_Images.zip
The Great Whale Road is where story-driven RPG and turn-based tactics meet interactive historical fiction. Set in the Early Middle Ages, the game revives an ancient world through its digitally hand-drawn art, colourful characters, atmospheric soundtrack, and deeply researched lore.
- Story driven single-player game combining RPG with lite management elements
- Discover the stories of your settlement's characters along the North Sea coast
- Authentic historical setting
- Turn-based tactics
The inspiration for the gameplay and design comes from a myriad of games, books, and movies. If someone were to force us at sword point to describe The Great Whale Road using recent titles then imagine a title inspired by King of Dragon Pass, The Banner Saga and Darkest Dungeon with the historical setting of Mount & Blade Brytenwalda.
ART STYLE & DESIGN
We aim for a semi-realistic, hand-painted European comic-book look. The inspiration of the style comes from different sources like the original Prince Valiant comic and hand-drawn video games. Historical art and references are important, we spend a lot of time researching not only the historical setting but also the art of the period.
- Digitally hand-painted characters and environments
- Culture specific designs
- 2D isometric and side-scrolling
Concept art and screenshots can be found in the Media section.
Where RPG Meets InterActive Fiction
Players select a culture, and thereby its playable settlement. Each settlements has a story-driven campaign and characters have their own stories players will be able to discover along the North Sea coast.
The game year is split into two season - summer and winter. Summer is the sailing season, when players select a mission and travel the whale road. Winter is spent at the settlement, management decisions are made and the players have to deal with the wyrd of their settlement through snow and winter raids.
KEY dates AND RELEASES
- Release: 30th of March, 2017
- PC, Mac and Linux
- Additional platforms will be announced in 2017
Social And Web
- Web: http://www.the-great-whale-road.com/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/WhaleRoadGame
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thegreatwhaleroad
- IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/the-great-whale-road
In the Game Press
- Rock Paper Shotgun: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/08/15/the-great-whale-road-review-early-access/
- Gamasutra: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/278998/Qamp_A_Action_Saxons_amp__historical_accuracy_in_The_Great_Whale_Road.php
- Blot Gaming: http://www.blotgaming.com/game-reviews/great-whale-road-review/
- Future Beta Gamer: http://www.futurebetagamer.com/the-great-whale-road-alpha-access/
- Enklawa Network: https://enklawanetwork.pl/pc/news/10460-pierwsze-wrazenia-z-alfy-the-great-whale-road/ (Polish)
- IGN Spain: http://es.ign.com/espana/99338/feature/nivel-oculto-12-meses-12-indies-espanoles (Spanish)
- Sunburned Games: http://sunburnedgames.com/press/
- Press Contact: email@example.com